Monday, May 4, 2009

Happy Mother's Day


"My mother is a poem I'll never be able to write, though everything I write is a poem to my mother." -- —Sharon Doubiago



Dear Mom,

I know I'll never be old enough for you to stop worrying about me. Your e-mails and your voice mails checking in on me, looking out for my safety, wishing me a good day during a stressful time bring a smile to my face. I thank God that even though I'm an adult that you are still willing to be at my side if I need you, that you are still my defender, still the shoulder I can cry on. The gift now is that I can be there for you too.

There will never come a day when hearing you are proud of me doesn't fill my heart. You are the example of womanhood I strive to emulate and to have you say "Good Job" makes me feel like I'm becoming the kind of person I want to be.

I can't imagine a more challenging job than raising a child and you had to deal with one that was very sick during her first years. I can't fathom how scary, stressful, and painful some of those moments must have been for you. But you carried on. Through my physical ups and downs you have held my hand. I have no doubt in my early years such love pulled me through.

The gifts you have given me through the years are too numerous to name: the band practices, plays, and games you didn't miss; the hours spent sewing costumes, baking treats for my classmates, and helping with homework.

Because of you I found my love of words and my passion for writing. I wouldn't be me without the endless sessions of you reading to me, trips to the library, and the books you've passed along. And thank you for encouraging my own work.

I could go on and on, but the bottom line is: You are all of the best in my world. You are joy, forgiveness, compassion, and the motivating kick in the backside. I am grateful for the patience and love. I am grateful for the laughter. I am grateful for how you pushed me to be a better person.

To say thank you for such gifts seems so little, but I think that is a mother's blessing: You ask nothing more than to be loved, though you would give the world for your child.

I hope you know how treasured you are. You are in my heart always. I am well aware of how much I lucked out in having you for my mother. It was a blessing I'll always give thanks for.

I love you mom. Happy Mother's Day.

2 comments:

  1. I love this. I love my mom (even though she's not here, she's always here), I love being a mom and I love my daughter (a mom) and my Mom Sara. Thank you for this post and I especially love the quote.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mother and Daughter is a bond that transcends all.
    Great post as always, and know I will probably cannibalize some of it.
    Creative in art I am, writing... not so much.
    Love as Always!

    ReplyDelete