Tuesday, February 3, 2009

A tribute to being uppity

Sometimes women have to do something that can be very hard for them: not sacrifice themselves in an effort to come across as "nice." We are programed from an early age that we are not to raise our voices, not question, and not rock the boat. We wouldn't want someone to call us the "b" word after all. Well there are some occasions where being "nice" can endanger us or at least not be in our highest good. There are times where we need to fight for ourselves and make our voices heard.

The brilliant Dorothy Parker's "Indian Summer" captures the throwing off of the desire to accommodate everyone just for acceptance. I wanted to share it again as a reminder of the importance of being true to yourself.

In youth, it was a way I had
To do my best to please,
And change, with every passing lad,
To suit his theories.

But now I know the things I know,
And do the things I do;
And if you do not like me so,
To hell, my love, with you!



When we are living in a way that serves our highest good, our heart is more able to be open and the real beauty of our soul shines.

Now some people don't like to see that empowerment or are jealous of the pure joy they see when it feels unobtainable to them. You'll find they generally won't stay in your life long because you aren't feeding them the reactions they want. And as Dorothy says, to Hell with them if they don't want to see you bloom.

Be loving.
Be fierce.
Be honest.
Be generous.
Be you.

No comments:

Post a Comment